Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 12 - Ancestors, the Mighty Dead


The Kindred of our Ancestors is both those of family and those of heart, profession, or other kinds of lineage. Both blood and learning shape us into who we become. The ways Ancestors are worshipped varied by culture, in timing, practice, and intensity. For example, many in the far East take ancestor veneration quite seriously, and every year when paper goods are offered it always makes the news. Greeks, Celts, Norse; they all had their special dates and special rites. Today, Samhain is often conflated and secularized to emerge as Halloween, but it’s also become Day of the Dead and All Saints Day and similar, as the concept is one that resonates with more than just one culture. I value my dead, those of blood, those of relationship, those of teaching, and those of example. Of all the Kindreds, they have perhaps the most personal investment in my well being and success, for they are my kin, my family, and my success is the success of their line, be it of blood or thought. The ADF suggestion is to offer them alcohol, but I’m not sure that’s the most appropriate for my individual family given a history of alcohol abuse. I’m still discerning what might be a better way, or perhaps I’m making too much of it, as I’ve thus far not fallen down that hole and am watchful of my habits with it. And so, in it’s own way, I’ve learned from my Ancestors, and hope to continue to do so. My grandmothers were both very strong women, and they are my prime examples as I begin to age. Yesterday, I saw the face of a deceased friend in a student. At Samhain, I will be officiating at a ritual of remembrance, and will be making offerings, most potently of shared stories and memories of those in the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment