Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 7 - Home Shrine

Write down what is on the altar, how it looks, and why you chose the things you did.


I've had a mostly wicca-ish altar for a few years, changing it up seasonally, but the ADF ritual has a few different components and needs. I use the altar for daily meditations, special prayers, and seasonal rituals, so it needed updating for these new needs. I have to my left fire in the form of a pillar candle on an iron holder. Behind it is a holder for various incenses I use. When I'm outside, I'll burn the loose incense, but inside I just sprinkle it on the little upraised dish. On the right is a small pottery dish with a beautiful blue glaze that has sparkling facets set into the bottom of it for the well and a bell to open rituals. In the middle in the front is a small dish with a spiral worked into it and a glaze that speaks to the idea of dawn for offerings. Behind that is a picture of Angel Oak, one of the largest and oldest oak trees in existence, and one I was privileged to visit on a recent vacation, for the Tree. Behind that is a barely representational figure of a woman, with an opening in her middle where a candle can be placed. I'm still deciphering her identity, but I've seen her, and this is the best way I know to represent her without attributing any qualities to her in error. I'm seeking a suitable chalice as a horn doesn't feel quite right, and I'm thinking of adding a few items back in as focus objects such as seasonal items like wheat stalks, but better to add to something once the framework is made than to twist and edit something else to suit a different style.


No comments:

Post a Comment