Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 14 - The Home Shrine (revisited)




I’ve added a picture above my shrine and a letter given by my wife in blessing of my path, a piece of Icelandic spar to help me find my way, and two hand sickles as Samhain approaches and I move to that part of my Lady, Persephone. I’m likely to remove the holder for the incense, but I’m still debating that.

The hand sickles were just refinished by a devotee of a metalworking god, and I’m just beginning use with them, so they’re on the altar for both seasonal and hallowing reasons.

Does it feel like there is something missing? Does something seem out of
place? Is it just right?

The glass and plastic incense holder will probably go pretty soon in favor of a small cauldron or iron plate to burn loose incense on. I’m feeling a pull towards heavier and more solid objects.

How have you worked with it over the past seven weeks? Has the method
of your working shaped the way the altar looks now, or does the way the altar looks
affect the way you work? Are you happy with the location of the altar? Have you
moved it in the past seven weeks? Do you plan on moving it in the future?

I’ve added the picture when I made my dedication to my Lady and the sickles when I was given them at a Mabon celebration. Other than that, it’s probably as it will be for the next while.  I do change things seasonally.  I don’t have a lot of room or spots living in an apartment, so it’s on the cabinet at the foot of the bed, which is the best I can do for someplace I consider private and special.

Now, what would you like to do to improve it? Write down your dreams, or
sketch out your dream altar. Can you make it look like that? What do you need to
do in order to make your altar look the way you want it?

A huge house with a room or outbuilding devoted to being a temple would be nice, but that’s not coming just yet. I’m happy with it, though I’d probably use a different cabinet beneath it, perhaps a wooden one in which I can store those seasonal items.

Finally, consider how this shrine compares with the spot where you visit
with nature. Do you feel that nature is accessible from this shrine? Or do you prefer
to be outside in order to deal directly with nature? Are there ways to bring nature
into your Home Shrine?

The shrine isn’t as much about nature as it is about my connection to my Lady.  It’s a spot for focus and meditation and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment